WNBA And ESPN Announce Broadcast Timetable and Extra Programming For 2023 Frequent Period – WNBA.com7 min read
– ESPN’s ‘WNBA Countdown’ Pregame Show Included to Regular-Season Programming –
– AT&T WNBA All-Star Recreation to Air on ABC in Primetime for Initial Time –
– Brittney Griner’s WNBA Return to Air on ESPN, Stream on ESPN+
with Coverage of Phoenix Mercury’s Might 19 Period Opener and May perhaps 21 Dwelling Opener –
– Timetable to Function all 12 Groups with 9 Appearances by New York Liberty, Seven by Las Vegas Aces –
– WNBA Changemaker Google to Sponsor ‘WNBA on ESPN’ Broadcasts
through Standard Period Throughout ABC, ESPN and ESPN2, as well as up to 27 Playoff Game titles –
NEW YORK, March 8, 2023 – The WNBA and ESPN currently declared that the league’s 27th typical period, established to tip off on Friday, May perhaps 19, will be highlighted by 25 national broadcasts for the duration of the common year across ABC, ESPN and ESPN2.
Through the future time, the WNBA will collaborate with ESPN to existing up to 52 feasible game titles commencing with the WNBA Normal Year offered by Google and extending through the WNBA Playoffs presented by Google, which will attribute up to 27 video games, which include the WNBA Finals introduced by YouTube Television. In addition, record will be designed on Saturday, July 15 when the 2023 AT&T WNBA All-Star Video game in Las Vegas airs for the very first time in primetime on ABC (8:30 p.m. ET).
Additional protection will be furnished by WNBA Countdown offered by Google – ESPN’s pregame clearly show launched all through the 2022 WNBA postseason – which will now be available all over the normal year with at minimum 10 editions instantly preceding activity broadcasts.
The finish television and streaming timetable, including games on CBS Television Community, Paramount+, CBS Sports activities Network, NBA Tv set, Meta Horizon Worlds, and Twitter will be introduced at a afterwards date.
“As we get established to tip off our 27th season, ESPN is after once again stepping up as an extremely engaged broadcast husband or wife for the WNBA,” stated WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert. “We are grateful that ESPN will present important prospects to tell the tales of the incredible players throughout the league in 2023. From suggestion-off weekend by the remarkably predicted postseason, ESPN and Google will continue on to provide our escalating fan foundation and supply a robust national platform for WNBA gamers with activity broadcasts and new, common-time pregame shows.”
“As ESPN enters its 27th time with the WNBA, we proceed to elevate our protection of this outstanding league with leading broadcast windows, expanded studio programming and very best-in-class storytelling,” mentioned Matt Kenny, vice president of programming and acquisitions, ESPN. “Our ongoing collaboration with the WNBA resulted in unprecedented growth and success past yr and we have a marquee agenda that will the moment yet again showcase the league’s best players and teams throughout ESPN platforms.”
The ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 broadcast schedule gets underway on Friday, May well 19, as component of WNBA Idea-Off introduced by CarMax when Brittney Griner, an eight-time WNBA All-Star range and two-time Kia WNBA Defensive Participant of the Calendar year, and Diana Taurasi, the WNBA’s profession scoring leader and a three-time league winner now getting into her 19th period, direct the Phoenix Mercury versus the Los Angeles Sparks. The Sparks’ revamped roster features 2016 WNBA MVP Nneka Ogwumike and veteran acquisitions Azurá Stevens and Jasmine Thomas. That game will air on ESPN and stream on ESPN+ at 8 p.m. PT (11 p.m. ET), marking the initial time a WNBA recreation will be available on the ESPN streaming services.
“It’s been refreshing to see women’s sports obtaining more of the awareness it justifies over the past yr and a fifty percent,” said Kate Johnson, Director of World-wide Sporting activities & Amusement Advertising Partnerships, Content material and Media at Google. “We’re passionate about elevating coverage of girls athletes and as we enter our 3rd 12 months as a WNBA Changemaker, continuing to operate side by side with the WNBA and EPSN to air much more nationally televised video games is anything we’re incredibly happy of. We’ll go on to challenge ourselves and other folks to raise the bar for representing women’s sporting activities equitably.
WNBA Tip-Off Offered by CarMax also contains a star-studded ABC doubleheader on Saturday, May possibly 20. Motion guidelines off when the Atlanta Desire, led by newly obtained Allisha Gray and reigning Kia WNBA Rookie of the Calendar year Rhyne Howard, stop by Gray’s previous group, the Dallas Wings, with recently acquired WNBA All-Stars Diamond DeShields and Natasha Howard alongside Arike Ogunbowale, 1 of the league’s top rated scorers in just about every of the earlier four seasons (1 p.m. ET).
In the 2nd sport of the doubleheader, the Seattle Storm and 4-time WNBA All-Star and two-time winner Jewell Loyd host the defending WNBA champion Las Vegas Aces (3 p.m. ET). The Aces’ roster consists of 2022 award winners Chelsea Gray (WNBA Finals MVP and Commissioner’s Cup Championship Activity MVP), Kelsey Plum (All-WNBA 1st Staff and All-Star Match MVP), A’ja Wilson (Kia WNBA MVP and Kia WNBA Defensive Participant of the Calendar year) and Jackie Younger (Kia WNBA Most Improved Participant), along with free agent acquisition Candace Parker, a two-time MVP and two-time league winner.
The opening weekend of WNBA Tip-Off Presented by CarMax concludes on Sunday, May well 21, when Griner, Taurasi and the Mercury host 2021 WNBA Finals MVP Kahleah Copper and the Chicago Sky in a rematch of the 2021 WNBA Finals on ESPN and ESPN+ at 4 p.m. ET.
The New York Liberty, which added 2021 Kia WNBA MVP Jonquel Jones, 2018 MVP Breanna Stewart and 6-time league assists chief Courtney Vandersloot to a roster that now provided 2022 All-WNBA collection and 2020 No. 1 overall draft choose, Sabrina Ionescu, will play 9 game titles throughout ESPN platforms. The 2022 winner Aces will surface seven moments. The two teams, which feature a combined eight 2022 WNBA All-Stars, will satisfy four instances in the standard year and go head-to-head on ABC on Sunday, Aug. 6 from New York (3 p.m. ET).
Extra Highlights of the ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 Broadcast Routine:
- 6 groups will each individual be showcased 4 periods, like the Connecticut Sunshine, led by 2022 WNBA All-Star Brionna Jones and fellow All-Star Alyssa Thomas, who posted a WNBA-document 4 triple-doubles throughout the 2022 typical season and postseason. Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Seattle, and Washington will also look four periods each individual.
- In addition to the opening weekend broadcasts showcasing Griner and Taurasi, protection of the Mercury is established for Tuesday, July 25, when Phoenix visits Rhyne Howard and the Aspiration (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET) and on Sunday, Sept. 10 – the ultimate day of the normal season – when Phoenix travels to Las Vegas to experience the All-Star quintet of Grey, Parker, Plum, Wilson and Younger (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET).
- Stewart, who starred with Seattle for six seasons from 2016-22, will facial area her former workforce in a pair of nationwide telecasts – initially when the Liberty visits the Storm on Tuesday, Might 30 (ESPN2, 9 p.m. ET), and on Saturday, July 8, when the Storm travels to New York (ESPN, 1:30 p.m. ET).
- New York’s Courtney Vandersloot, who aided Chicago to two appearances in the WNBA Finals offered by YouTube Tv, which includes a WNBA championship in 2021, will square off versus her former workforce when the Liberty visits the Sky on Sunday, Sept. 3 (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET).
- ABC will air star-studded doubleheaders across two weekends in June commencing on Sunday, June 11, when the Liberty host the Wings (1 p.m. ET) and the Storm host two-time MVP Elena Delle Donne, two-time WNBA All-Star Ariel Atkins and the Washington Mystics (3 p.m. ET). On Sunday, June 25, New York hosts Washington (1 p.m. ET) and the Sparks welcome the Wings (3 p.m. ET) to Los Angeles.
- Connecticut and Las Vegas, which achieved in the 2022 WNBA Finals offered by YouTube Television set, will perform on Saturday, July 1 (ABC, 3 p.m. ET).
- In advance of the 2023 AT&T WNBA All-Star Recreation on July 15, the WNBA’s Expertise Obstacle and the Starry Three-Stage Contest will air on ESPN on Friday, July 14 at 4 p.m. ET.
- All game titles throughout ESPN platforms for the duration of the typical season and postseason will stream are living on the ESPN App.
The 2023 standard year will consist of a history-superior 40 game titles per team, furnishing lovers with far more opportunities to see the greatest gamers in the earth compete at the maximum degree. The 3rd calendar year of the Commissioner’s Cup introduced by Coinbase also brings included exhilaration and intrigue to the 1st 50 % of the period for gamers, groups and lovers.
Adhering to the conclusion of the 2023 common time on Sunday, Sept. 10, ESPN will at the time again collaborate with the WNBA to broadcast all playoff game titles. Wall-to-wall protection of the WNBA Playoffs offered by Google and the WNBA Finals introduced by YouTube Television will feature up to 27 nationally televised playoff online games across ESPN platforms.
With the tip-off of the WNBA time established for Might 19, ESPN Fantasy Women’s Basketball is back and now open for the season. Fans can lock in their spot for totally free today and get ready to dominate with their preferred WNBA stars in Could. Go to espn.com/fantasywomensbasketball or download the ESPN Fantasy App to get begun.
Down below is the comprehensive ESPN Platforms normal-year agenda. A connection to the comprehensive WNBA schedule can be located right here.
2023 ESPN PLATFORMS Normal-Year BROADCAST Program
# # #